Thursday, June 18, 2015

Alien Worlds: These Half-Underwater Photos Reveal What Hides Under The Waves

June 15, 2015
http://higherperspectives.com/matty-smith/
Matty Smith has traveled the world taking half-submerged photos of the sea, revealing what lies just beneath the water.
“For me one of the most wondrous parts of any dive is the moment that the water engulfs my mask as my head slips below the surface,” says Smith. “I think it’s the suspense of the unknown of what lies beneath, the transitional part of moving from one element to the next that feels so magical and the thought of what alien creatures I might encounter.”
His half underwater images show what lies just beneath the water. Check out his stunning images and check out his entire catalog of images HERE.
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-2__880
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-1__880
304_2954-copy__880
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-6__880
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-3__880
A-Parallel-Universe-My-Half-Underwater-Images-Show-What-Hides-Beneath-The-Waves1__880
303_0434-copy__880
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-5__880
A-Parallel-Universe-My-Half-Underwater-Images-Show-What-Hides-Beneath-The-Waves2__880
303_0007-copy__880
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-7__880
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-4__880
I had discovered from previous visits to dive this small bay that after strong summer northeast winds hundreds of bluebottle cnidarian are blown in and trapped, they float around the bay on the tides and sometimes clump together in huge rafts. I began planning this shot because knew that the blueness of these animals lights up wonderfully with a strobe and figured the sun would rise somewhere in the background towards the mouth of the bay. I thought that orange and the blue would make a striking shot. It took quite a few early mornings and lots of lighting experiments to make this image, but in the end I’m very happy with it.
A-Parallel-Universe-Windows-Beneath-the-Waves.-__880

0 comments:

Post a Comment